Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Sewing up Christmas: The Ethan Shirt

Yes!  Another item is down!


This one really tested my patience, however.  Not because it was particularly difficult, but rather, because I seemed to be stymied at every turn. 

The first hurdle came in the form of a two year old wielding a pair of scissors.  Unfortunately, the little bug has learned the value of stools recently and I keep forgetting that nothing is safe anymore...



The sharpies are now stashed up high in the dish cabinet and I guess just pushing my scissors back away from the edge won't cut it anymore either.   Thankfully, it was just one arm, before I sewed it on and I had a good deal more of the same fabric.  Otherwise, it would have been a disaster!

The second hurdle was a little less pleasant.  It came in the form of a nasty 24 hour stomach virus that stole the entire Saturday that my old man gave me to work on my projects.  Instead of sewing, I spent it sleeping and groaning.  There are no pictures of this and, trust me, you don't want any.  Unfortunately, my poor husband now has it and we are desperately hoping it doesn't work it's way through the rest of the family.  Please, God...


Anyway, to get back to my point, the Ethan Shirt from Sis Boom Patterns is a traditional boys button down, as you can tell.  It was quite easy to sew up, but I must admit it was intimidating.  I decided to add contrasting cuffs, an inner yoke and collar stand for the "Cam from Modern Family" look.  The C-man loves the look and said, "It's not scratchy."  So, I guess that's good.



The thing I love the most is that this shirt actually fits him!  He's kind of skinny and small for a 6 year old, and almost all shirts he wears are too long at the cuff.  I love the ability to custom tailor things so he doesn't look like he's swimming in clothes. 


As I said before, the short was quite easy to sew, but it did take a fair amount of precision. 



I also had to read the directions two or three times to make sure I knew what was going on with the construction. 


Having never made something tailored like this before I had to go slow, but I learned a lot and I'm proud that it seems to have turned out!

Now it's time to kick it into high gear to finish this out.  Santa pictures are schedules for December 18th - eeekkkk!

No comments:

Post a Comment